Friday, September 5, 2008

Fear God, Love God

With all the changes that have taken place in our life the last month I have spent a lot of time seeking God for more detail and understanding into every situation. At the beginning of the week He provided that great detail I have been seeking; now its really complicated so I don't know if anyone else could understand :-). Ecclesiastes 12:13, "Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind."

I was looking for some deep, complicated, special answers just for me. Instead, I was struck with the powerful truth that I don't understand the fear of the Lord. I could continue to tell myself I did, but what good would that do? My prayer life is changing dramatically as a result. In Proverbs chapter 1 Solomon writes that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge and then follows up with the words from Ecclesiastes. Because of this I'm left with the realization that it really is that simple, fear the Lord. Now, its time for me to allow the Teacher to teach and see this revelation come to pass.

To keep God's commandments there is no secret either. In John chapter 14 Jesus said "if you love me you will keep my commandments." I don't need to try and keep His commandments as if doing something (works) is going to help me. The love inside of me for the Father naturally causes the obedience He speaks of.

So for me the words read, "Fear God, Love God; for this is all He asks of me!"

No comments: