Saturday, September 20, 2008

eat a little each day

If you have ever gone through those stages where you don't feel or think that reading the Bible is transforming your life or that God is not giving you insight regularly, think again. As a father of a one year old, I have experienced the miracle of seeing and infant grow into a toddler, and the changes in Boden from the age of 1 month to 1 year have been remarkable.

What was it that caused that remarkable change? It was all of those little tiny things that seemed like no big deal. That glass of milk in the morning didn't by itself make him grow, at least not that could be seen with the human eye. He didn't take a drink and grow an inch before my eyes, it's been a process, and each day, each element that he consumes is proving beneficial for his future. So how important is that banana for breakfast and that cup of milk at night? I would say it is crucial.

And so it is with the Word of God. It is the most important nutrient we can put in our bodies each day. We don't always notice the impact of a 30 minute or 3 minute devotion time reading our bible, and we wonder why we are reading about Kings from 3000 years ago? After a year, though, just like watching Boden grow, we grow in our understanding of God and find ourselves with an intimate relationship with the King of kings and experiencing a new level of maturity in Christ.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Good timing for me Michael. I was just addressing in my prayers this morning that sometimes I must just not "get it", or at least not deep enough. Last night's bible study left me feeling kind of inadequate as some had really deep thoughts (and some even quoted scripture to support their thinking. Looks like I need to keep snacking more often!?!?!? Ron

Meghan W said...

It is SO true! I remember years of 5-20 min "bites" and just feeling like I was never going to begin grasping the word, but all of a sudden one day I realized I knew more than I thought I did! It kind of sneaks up on you :)

That's one of the reasons I LOVE the prayer room. Lots of soak time... the fruit is there - that's for sure :)