Tuesday, December 2, 2008

it's okay if people think that

In Mark 12:14 the Pharisees told Jesus they knew he didn't care about any one's opinion and he was not swayed by ones appearances, because He teaches the truth of God alone.



A few years ago one of my friends was ask why I had to be so "weird" about Jesus. He said he knew other Christians who didn't act so radical.

This comment brought the full revelation to me that there is not much of a difference between most Americans who claim to be Christians and those who are Atheists or of any other religion. It's just some title they put on themselves if ask the question of what they believe, but it is not their life. Being a follower of Jesus is not just a religion, a faith, or any other movement. It is a way of life that encompasses every aspect of who we are as a person, what are thoughts are on every situation.

I only write this because for 20 plus years I believed I was a Christian and most of America would have agreed with me, yet I was more swayed by man and what the media said than by anything Jesus said or did.

When we fully give our heart to God, our closest family and friends may think we have gone of the deep end. But that is not a bad thing.

We must remember that we live in a country where claiming to be a Christian doesn't have as much to do with Christ as it does with our social status. The claim to be Christian deals more with what it means for us as a 21st Century American, than it does with being a devoted follower of Christ.

I think its safe to say, in the world we live in today, we can only hope people think that we are a little over excited about Jesus, otherwise we just blend into the group on the fence and will find ourselves like the lukewarm church in Revelation.

No comments: